Accident Protection Plan
A simpler plan with direct payments1
The accident plan pays a lump-sum benefit directly to employees after a covered injury or health event. There’s no deductible and employees can use the money however they want to help make up for lost wages and pay for medical and daily living expenses.
The risk is real: Every second, someone gets injured, yet 66% of employees have $500 or less to cover the costs of an illness or emergency.2 3
Flexible benefits with broad coverage
Choose how you want to fund it and you can tailor the benefit schedule and coverage amounts to your health plan and budget.
Other valuable features include:
- Guaranteed issue
- Flat rates (easy to administer)
- Rate guarantee
- Personal claim support
Pays out for more than 80 injuries and services as part of:
- Initial care and emergency treatment
- Hospital care
- Follow-up care
- Certain common injuries, including organized sports activities and more
An example of how the Accident Protection Plan may pay for itself.4
Matt was playing in his weekly men’s softball league. Trying to slide into second base, he tore a knee ligament and broke a wrist. Even with his health plan, Matt had deductible expenses and had to miss some work. See how the Accident Protection Plan can help.
|Matt's Initial care/hospital care||Cost7|
|Emergency room visit||$150|
|Initial physician visit||$75|
|Combined Total for Initial Care:||$525|
|Matt's Follow-up care||Cost7|
|Diagnostic MRI exam||$250|
|Wrist fracture treatment||$800|
|Surgical ligament tear repair||$600|
|Follow-up physician visit||$75|
|Physical therapy sessions||$270|
|Organized sporting injury benefit8
|Combined Total for Follow-up Care:||$2,775|
Health plan + accident plan: The power of a united strategy
Purchasing a UnitedHealthcare health plan along with a UnitedHealthcare Accident Protection Plan brings you more, including:
Which may be achieved by integrating your UnitedHealthcare plans.
Proactively looking for claims to help employees submit the claim more quickly and easily.
- One dedicated account team
- One integrated implementation process (eligibility, claims, billing)
- One self-service administration website
- This plan provides limited benefits.
- National Safety Council. Available at: https://www.nsc.org/membership/member-resources/injury-facts. Accessed August 6, 2018.
- Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2016. Board of Governors of Federal Reserve System. Washington, D.C. 2017.
- For illustrative purposes only. Example is based on a standard, mid-level plan design. Payment amounts may differ based on the plan available to you and the state in which you live.
- Benefit Assist is offered to employers with 250 or more employees who have purchased both a fully insured UnitedHealthcare medical and 1 or more UnitedHealthcare supplemental health plans. Benefit Assist support is available at no additional cost to groups with a health plan and supplemental health plan from UnitedHealthcare. Benefit payments associated with the Supplemental Health Plan Benefit Assist program are subject to eligibility requirements and benefits outlined in your UnitedHealthcare policy. For more details, contact your UnitedHealthcare sales representative.
- Premium costs are based on a 500-employee company, with voluntary (100 percent employee-paid) funding and employee-only coverage.
- Organized sporting injury benefit provides an additional 25 percent coverage up to $10,000. In this example, the organized sports injury enhanced benefit provides an additional $525 ($2,100 X 25 percent = $525).
Benefits and programs may not be available in all states or for all group sizes. Components subject to change. These policies have exclusions, limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of the coverage, contact your UnitedHealthcare sales representative.
UnitedHealthcare Accident Protection Plan is provided by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company on Policy Form UHCAC-POL-1 (01/12). In Texas, it is provided on Policy Form UHCAC-POL-1-TX (01/12). In New York it is provided by Unimerica Life Insurance Company of New York on Policy Form UHCAC-POL-1-NY (01/12). UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company is located in Hartford, CT; Unimerica Life Insurance Company of New York in New York, NY. Some products vary by state or may not be available in all states.